Breakfast at Kona Cafe, Polynesian Resort – A special offering
Did you know that February 12, 2013 is Pancake Day?
Well, actually it's Shrove Tuesday
- "shrove" comes from an old English term "shrive" meaning to confess - as February 12, 2013 is the day before Lent begins (yes, this also means that it's Mardi Gras a.k.a. Fat Tuesday), it's the day that you customarily go and confess and get absolutions). Okay, enough with the traditional and religious stuff...
While we're fairly certain that the Red Velvet Pancakes being offered during the month of February have more to do with Valentine's Day than with Pancake Day, it seems appropriate to give you a review of those pancakes TODAY!
Red Velvet Pancakes with a side of bacon (2 slices)
Nick ordered the pancakes, while Nora ordered the Samoan (later in the post). Nick LOVES pancakes, and we've had the Macadamia Pineapple Pancakes a few times (and enjoyed them). Unfortunately, Nick didn't love these pancakes.
- The pancakes - dry, overdone, and too much cocoa (probably what contributed to their dryness and toughness, an imbalance in the dry and wet ingredients)
- The cream cheese topping - barely enough for one pancake, much less 3; didn't taste of cream cheese, it was just sweet and cinnamony; not a great accompaniment on multiple levels
- The bacon - well, it's slightly better than Walt Disney World food court bacon, but why only 2 slices?
Closer view - these were overdone, dry, and tough
Nora decided to go for the Samoan - described as "Poached Eggs with Hollandaise served over Smoked Pulled Pork Hash"... sounded good...
Details, from the top...
- Rocket salad - a nice addition to a heavier breakfast, first time we saw this was at Kouzzina; not overdressed, this gets a thumbs-up
- Hollandaise sauce - sour, not lemony; thumbs down
- Poached eggs - poached well, slightly underdone (runny whites); too bad they included the foamy bits of eggwhite (clearly visible in the photos), this was yuck; thumbs neither up or down
- Smoked pulled pork hash - didn't taste like any pork we've ever eaten (and we've eaten a lot of smoked pulled pork!), in fact, it simply didn't taste like pork at all; the potatoes were very vinegary (yuck); thumbs down
- English muffin - chunked up instead of whole, made eating this easier; thumbs up
Eating it all together did little to improve this dish, unlikely to order it again.
Close view (can really see the foamy egg whites)
Overall, this is the worst breakfast we've had a Disney World in a while; the best thing was a full pot of coffee for each of us (even though the table was very small and crowded). Disappointing... Sigh. Now we REALLY want to go back to The Wave
and to Kouzzina
Nick recently saw an announcement online that Kona Cafe was going to be offering a Breakfast Special (and you know, breakfast is the most important meal of the day) AND it was a pancake special. So we were ready to head to the Polynesian Resort and get some Red Velvet Pancakes...